Check out what we're studying in ART!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Kinders work with Eric Carle's THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR!




Kinders (kindergarteners) and Miss Oetken talked about illustrators and authors. What are their jobs? We discovered that Eric Carle did both jobs. He wrote the story and is an artist who makes the pictures to his story! We didn't just read the "Very Hungry Caterpillar." We were part of 'Caterpillah Theatah' (said with a Brittish accent: 'Caterpillar Theater'). Cathy, an awesome paraprofessional that is in my room and very supportive, said, "Hey I have something I think you might be able to use".

Eric Carle's Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

velcro backed quilted pieces for "Caterpillah Theatah" (said with a British
accent :) )
 Cathy gave me these 3-dementional soft quilted pieces of the story "The Hungry Caterpillar"! They even had velcro sewed to the back. Awesome. I passed one of the quilted pieces out to each student to hold on to. So what I did was as I read the story and we looked at the pictures, the student holding that piece would come up and stick it on the 'theater' that was made of felt. This helped us to have fun and remember parts of the story!

Hungry Caterpillah Theatah: (okay, yeah I know it's just
yellow felt but that's what's needed for the show so the velcro
can stick!)
  The students LOVED it. Then with the time left, I had the students pick one of the foods from the story to make BIG on a slip of paper. Don't forget the hole where the caterpillar eats through! We colored it in with crayon. We'll cut it out next time. Next time we'll make our egg carton Hungry Caterpillars with a red head. Next each section is different shades of green paint. Don't forget to make yellow rings with a green center for eyes and his green dot nose! Then poke holes near the top of the head to poke some skinny pipe cleaners in it for antenaes.




2 comments:

  1. Ok, the velcro is super cool. And I love how you used tints and shades of green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank yoU! I"m glad you enjoy! Just another teachable opportunity. I show how it doesn't have to be just a boring green, different shades and tints add dimension and excitement!

    ReplyDelete